Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Grace

I’ve been reading a great book. It is called Putting a Face On Grace. It’s written by Richard Blackaby (the son of Henry Blackaby (the guy who did the Experiencing God Bible Study).) This book has really given me some things to think about. How often do I forget the Grace that God has extended toward me? Many times! How often do I extend Grace toward others? Not as much as I could, I admit. Here’s an excerpt that I think does a good job communicating the premise of the book:

Grace: What It Is
Most Christians have a basic understanding of grace as the undeserved favor or mercy of God toward us. We know we have been saved by grace (Ephesians 2:8). But after salvation, many professing believers have little or no idea how grace impacts their daily lives. Grace is not a onetime gift from God. Because Christians continue to struggle with sin until the day they see Jesus face to face, we need God's grace every day of our lives. He continually supplies grace to His people in countless practical ways. Moreover--and this is where so many of us miss the point--He expects us to be channels of His grace to others.

We are not called to just bathe in grace; we are called to shower it upon others. Grace has not been fully experienced until it is fully expressed to others. The deeper our understanding of grace, the more we see the necessity of making it the fabric of our Christian life.

So, what do you think? I know that this book has really struck a chord with me. Not only am I trying to understand God’s grace toward me better but I am trying to be that grace to others. It’s not easy sometimes. Especially to members of my family. Understanding God’s grace and living it out has really deepened my worship of God. If you get a chance, try checking out this great book. (I got it from the Library). Let me know what your thoughts are.

1 comment:

Hannah said...

That sounds like a good book Amie. I might check that out. I can never hear enough about grace, the need for it and the need to give it.