Monday, July 14, 2008

A Balancing Act

So I thought I would write a bit about my new job. I love it. I think this is a great job for me. I'm not like most Realtors that I've met. I am a little shy about promoting myself, but in order to succeed this is one area I am going to need to grow in. I love houses, and I love helping people!
The hard part in just starting out is balancing work and family. It's been quite an adjustment going from a stay-at-home mom to a working-full-time mom. Katie has had a harder time adjusting than I expected. She used to be a "Daddy's Girl" until I started working. Now she wants to do everything with me. I'm finding it difficult to get any work done at home, even though some of my work can be done from home. There are way too many distractions and lots of noise (like Jonathan yelling "Katie is being mean to me" at the top of his lungs while I am on the phone with a client.)
The biggest balance for me right now is money. It takes quite a bit of money to get started in real estate. More than I expected. Which is why I have run out of money to pay for childcare. So now I am having to get creative. I take the kids into the office with me when I have something quick to do. (They don't last past 20 minutes there.) I'm trying to go in an evening a week and also on Saturdays or Sundays. I let the kids watch TV up in my room so that I can make some phone calls. I do some work from home in the evenings, too. Other times I try to think up ways I can convince my friends and relations to watch my kids for free. Actually, I don't try to convince them, I beg them. It's humbling. I hope I can sell a house or two soon!
There is so much more I can say about my Real Estate career, but It'll have to wait for another blog. One last thing though, Jonathan is one of my biggest supporters. He loves to promote me to others. He tells people that I am a "Realestater". He has even talked to people that he doesn't even know and told them, "my Mommy doesn't have any clients yet, would you like to buy a house from her?" What would I do without my family's support?
(Hey, can someone tell me how to type these blogs with a space between each paragraph? The final post doesn't look good all crammed together! Thanks!)

3 comments:

Kristi said...

All I ever do to get spaces between my paragraphs is to hit enter twice. If when you post the blog it doesn't look right, you can go back and hit the "edit" button and fix it. Does that answer your question?

Unknown said...

Hey! I can leave a comment on this one!!!! I hear you about the financial side to starting up a business. When I can I will try to watch the kids a bit for you...makes sense since I am so close, huh? Hang in there, I know God will bless you in this venture.

Amie said...

Thanks Andrea! I appreciate your support.

Kristi, thanks for your input too. I will try doing what you mentioned.